Thursday, November 09, 2006

There is Only One Reason Why I go to the Spring Races: The Girls

Melbourne Cup, according to the newspaper is 'the race that stops the nation.' Alot of horses, alot of jockeys and alot of beautiful and drunk people in pretty cocktail dresses and fancy hats sitting on picnic mats in all kinds of obscene positions eating chips and chugging champagne. It is an excuse for girls to dress like a lady but act like homeless tramp. I was sitting cross-legged in a cocktail dress, so I was very in tune with that aspect of racing culture. People are suppose to go there to bet on horses, but I think the real reason why people are there is to pick up. When else would you ever have a massive racecourse full of men in suits, women who are inadequately covered, all are drunk, and it is bright daylight so you do get to see how they look like and a good pick up line to do with horses.

As ditzy as this sounds, I was there to check out the fashion scene. To gwak at pretty dresses and hats that I can't afford. It is almost like a fashion show with some faux pau in the middle. Some things I learned: never wear a translucent skin coloured chiffon dress with no bra. Never wear a polka dotted hair band, coat and dress at the same time. Never wear leggings under a pretty cocktail dress no matter how cold it is. Always tape up when wearing a plunging neckline. There is a difference between suggestive clevage and hello mama. And finally, words from the mouth of the drunk lady who was chatting with us, there is a difference between dressing to go clubbing and dressing for the races. One assumes more quiet dignity than the other.


I however failed in my mission to bet on a horse. I had it down to bet on delta blue since it was the first time I saw a Japanese jockey and pop rock cuz i like the pop rock sweet. But the line at the betting booth was too long. And both horses won! dammit.

Still it was pretty fun. We met a couple of drunk ladies and froze all the way through the race wishing that I had brought socks and a winter jacket. That's the price you pay for being vain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always have gorgeous dresses! WHERE do you get your dresses?! (if you don't mind divulging on the net)

Chorizo said...

Tee hee...thank you dearie! I got this one in Quebec City when I was lost and decided that shopping beats trying to find my way to the touristy areas..

When do you finish exams?

Anonymous said...

I finish my last paper tomorrow. I'm sick.
I really feel the urge to whine and cringe but I shall refrain.
Anyway, good work on the food! Now THERE'S a type a girl my boyfriend wish he had!

Chorizo said...

Yay!! come hang out with me...im so bored!!! now that sounds desperate..hows your eye going? I always get eye infection...don't worry it will go away!