Saturday, July 22, 2006

And Again, to the Airport

I'm 15 minutes to leaving my house and heading for the airport to fly back to Melbourne. My stomach has been in a state of excited flux for the last two days. Farewell from my workplace was wonderful yesterday, had Thai lunch with the technology team, had a round of drinks with the whole office at 5pm where we laughed about me getting white bush body wash as a present (think dodgy) and finally beer and lychee margarita at Alley Bar with the tech team again.

When I first came back to Singapore, I was grumpy and sulky about being home. I had major major adjustment issues after being away from it all for a year. But this trip back has been godsend. If the US taught me independence and opened my eyes to the world, Singapore taught me humility and brought me back to my roots and to grounded reality. I made new friends, I learned how to salsa and I faced the unexpected at work: me, techphob, doing research on RFID, smart cards, chip makers, server systems and biomedical science. I learned something I would otherwise never have dared ventured in, and I emerged a more rounded person. I learned through my friends that entering the workforce is not the end of my social life, and explored a totally different facet of myself.

So now, here I am, saying goodbye to another country, and being in a state of transit again till I hit Melbourne, where someone awaits me anxiously, to settle down once and for all.

No comments: