Friday, January 20, 2006

Too full to breathe

I know I'm spending way too much on food...but I think a place is as good as its food. Fourth time at White Dog. Despite Bob's "stomach-flu-breakfast-omelet-vomiting-i-now-hate-the-place" fiasco, White Dog is one of my favourite restaurants in Philly. This time I had pan seared scallops with strips of bacon on top and sauteed spinach/potato/garlic mix at the side. Although the first contact with the scallop was too salty, it was the most melt-in-your-mouth scallops I ever had. It's one of those dishes where I wish the aftertaste would stay in mouth forever. Their Peking duck with sweet potato mash and stewed apple is excellent too. That duck was tender, juicy and sweet. Yum yum... although it touts itself as a brunch place, i think White Dog is more worth it for dinner. I mean, being famed the top 5 restaurant in Philly is not gonna make your omelet taste any better than the $5 omelet at your local diner. The decor is eclectic, every table has a different funky lamp. Very Serendipity but like a more matured down-to-earth version of it. The toilets are labelled point, circle, democrat and republican. Take the Republican one although you might not adhere to it, the insides are cooler. And Ed think point is for guys and circle is for girls. Go figure.

Note: White Dog is not the place to go when you are suffering from stomach flu. Also, their gift shop named Black Cat, is cool.

No comments: