Friday, February 03, 2006

Of dead babies...

Today is First Fridays! Which means all art galleries are free and opened till 9pm!!

I must have entered more art galleries today than my whole life combined. The entire penns landing area was thronging with art students, people of the art world (a.k.a curators, art gallery owners, all the charlotte york type) and other rich people who are actually buying the art. There was music playing, people laughing and alot of free wine and pretzels.

My favourite exhibition one was : & then there is california. It was like Happy Tree Friends meets postmodernism. Vong and Regine will love this exhibition. It has tonnes of dead baby paintings. There was one where a red baby is jumping off a building into electrical wires. It's titled: Sucidal Tendencies. And there is another with an eyeball stuck to a stick, with the words Eye Miss You written above it.

My all time favourite two paintings from that exhibitons are: Last Supper MCSupersized by Ron English. It is what it sounds like. The last supper scene. Except an overweight Ronald Macdonald is in the middle. And his disciples are a southpark character, bart simpson, teletubbies, sylvester the cat and other cartoon characters. Behind the table is the Macdonald's sign with the words: One Billion Saved. Yes it is cliched and it has been emulated many times, but this one really captures the religiousity of Americanized christianity. Or maybe i'm just easily amused by the cartoon characters. Yeah i think that's the case.

And then there was MCStarry Night Urban Sprawl by Ron English. It's the classic Starry Night painting, but with lots of popular cartoon characters and Macdonald outlets in it. Ron is a satirist painter, part of culture jamming movement that is more creative than McF**K T-shirts. He also painted Marilyn Monroe with Mickey Mouse as tits and Lucy from Charlie Brown, with snoopy as tits. There are more of his works on www.popaganda.com. It is an offensive site. I'm warning you. If you are not into dead babies or burning koala jokes, and you genuinely like small furry animals, then go to www.care-bears.com.

Both paintings cost $350 for the unframed version. If I had $700 on me I would have bought both. But I don't. So i stole free water from them, use their toilet and left.

Continued walking...blah blah....saw an art gallery that has monocolour paintings. Like the art were huge pieces of paper painted in one colour. I looked at a yellow piece of paper that probably cost more than my liver, and then for a moment, I saw the inner stirrings of my soul. Then i got bored and left.

Stumbled into a Jewish art gallery. Except I was the only non-Jew there. I was caught inside as they started their Shabat meal (a special meal on Friday evening that Jews observe). So since I was in there, and they offered me chicken soup, i took some more food and walked around looking like I totally belonged there. Of course I just look like this cheapskate chinese girl who is stealing food. Then again, I always look like this short cheapskate chinese girl stealing food.

No comments: