Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Tip toeing to the Edge and Peering over

Everyday I am fighting to overcome my fears and experience things I have suppressed interest for over a decade. I'm learning to drive and realising I can, despite what others have said. I'm learning to salsa and dance, despite how often I was told I couldn't coordinate. I'm learning to take up positions and say yes to responsibility, despite my fear of failure. I signed up for an outdoor program alone, just to give it a go. I went on a short road trip with a bunch of church friends, even though I have acute phobia of spending more than half a day with people I know from church. I'm in a cell, and fighting back my reflex instinct to run, not because I want to, but because I always felt I had to. And I will, soon enough, learn to play a musical instrument and a sport, and maybe stroke a dog. I think, finally, I am ready to explore how much I can push my personal boundaries, and fight real hard against my omnipresent sense of fear, of failure. I might not do all these well, but at least I gave it a go. All I wish is that I had this epiphany much earlier than when I'm 22 and in my second last year of uni.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey cherry, its justin goh here from vj. its been ages hey? anyways, i just wanted to say i so understand what you mean. its like, all the time growing up, we never dared to do anything out of our boundaries because it wasn't tried and tested. fear of failure and what not. well, we're only 22. better than waking up and realising this at 30 i suppose.

Chorizo said...

Hey Justin!! Whao i haven't heard from you for so long!!! How's it going? Where are you studying now?

Anonymous said...

haha, i'm ok, in NUS engineering. but damn envious of you la, study in melbourne and THEN go for exchange from there to the States!!!! you are one lucky girl...what are you doing? as in, in the uni? and are you coming back? i have a feeling you'll probably head back to aus in the future cos you love it there? most people i know who study overseas wanna spend the rest of their lives there.

Chorizo said...

heee....im doing media communication in Uni now...graduating next year...i don't mind going back to singapore...but my boyfriend is working here so i guess il stay here if i can find a job...but its hard here cuz we are asians and not australians...you planning to stay on in singapore?