Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's Either Too Much Law or Too Little

I haven’t felt so good and energized about work for a long time. I am currently interning at the Ethnic Community Council Victoria drafting a policy proposal for this coming state election on multicultural policing strategies. And I am just in awe at the amount of things I learn everyday. While here I was feeling all good about myself for going to to Philadelphia alone, many refugees arrive in Australia with no social network, no job, no school, no friends, no community, no money and no comprehension of English. Many have no idea what the police does, or who to contact for help because they do not come from societies with operates by the rule of law. Being so Singaporean that I sweat when I break copyright laws, I cannot imagine being in a country without a police force, or with a corrupt (we are not talking about asking for coffee money kind of corrupt, we are talking will kill or rape you kind of corrupt) police. A place with no law, no rules, no system, no right from wrong and no justice. A system that can’t stop your neighbour from raiding your house, raping your children or killing you. And there is nothing you can do about it except suck it up or do the same back to him. I take my legal system and my police force for granted because I assume that they are as necessary and obviously available as oxygen. And I am humbled by my ignorance. Everyday I am learning, and everyday I am thankful and everyday I feel like I am making some kind of difference. Thank God.

2 comments:

patey said...

and thank God for you Charissa!

Chorizo said...

thank God for you too dear! I have been wanting to write to you about the montreal school shootout..how is the situation there now?