Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Bit of an Alkie, eh

Most of my friends drink a lot more when they are studying overseas because a) its cheaper and b) your dorm mate cares a lot less if you stumble home drunk than your parents. Being a freak of nature, I don’t seem to be able to indulge in any alcoholism overseas, but once I’m back in Singapore, I find it hard to count my alcohol free days. Not like I’m getting pissing drunk at all, just that I guess in Singapore it’s kinda a holiday for me and with meeting friends over 18 years old, our social transaction often happens over a cocktail. Oh and Singapore has ladies nights, which means free flow of alcohol.

So last night was my first time in a gay club and bar along the infamous Pink Triangle area of Keong Saik road right next to my old church. Happy (yes, pun pun) was swanky and big with intimate booths and a spacious dance floor. The bartenders were very friendly and the cocktails (I had a Happysexual) were about as strong as drinking a cup full of spirits neat. Noel and I later headed up to the cozier Mox with its retro inspired décor. Everything was brown and orange, very kampong style with wooden floor, a swing and a huge bed in the middle for some erm…….male-on-male action? The bellini was so yummy and strangely enough, sobered me up after that flammable Happysexual. We stumbled up to the attic of Mox where they were having an art exhibition. I was use to seeing scantily clad women posing in vulnerable fetal positions on the beach, or with a stalk of flower etc, so it was strange seeing naked men replace the woman’s position in those pictures. Interesting. It felt good being a gal in a gay bar because you are totally at ease. No one wants you. You know no one wants you. You don’t care if no one wants you. And you get to laugh at your straight guy friends getting hit on my other guys. I’ve already got a devious plan of who to bring there next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not me!! Noooooooooooooooooooooo!! Someone, anyone, help!!!!! yikes!!!!!

bob

Chorizo said...

hahaha....you are so definitely coming down with me!! we can hook you up with a cute boy and take it from there!!