Saturday, June 03, 2006

Trying to Make a New York Out of a Singapore

When you end up eating, drinking, shopping and clubbing at the same places everyday, you know you have been in that country for too long. In Singapore, its always Soup Restaurant/Cafe Cartel/Crystal Jade/Marmalade Pantry for food, Tango's for drinks, Far East for shopping and Zouk for clubbing.

So back from the US, I decided to rediscover some new charm in my old country to satisfy my eternal tourist mentality. With new friends come new places to eat.

Ember at Hotel 1929 Keong Saik Area:
After a rather disappointing meal at the Marmalade Pantry, Ember provided a less "I''m trying to upholster my sofa like a Tod's handbag"environment with a more simplistic "Be here for the food, families are invited" type thing. The cod was sweet, the veal's cheek tasted like very nice hash and the winner was the wasabi mayo drizzled soft shell crab. It wasn't oily, it wasn't dry, it was perfect and meaty.

Pepper Lunch in Takashimaya/Plaza Sing:
There's a reason why I ate there for two meals in less than 24 hours. It is that good. A cross between claypot rice, terpanyaki, bibimbap and hotplate sirloin, this comes to you in a hotplate that is heated up to 26oC, and stays hot throughout your meal. Rice, half cooked beef, sauce, corn, pepper and butter are on your dish, and you stir it up and cook it while you eat. So good. I think the wait staff already recognise me.

AlleyBar at Peranakan Place:
I met the most attentive hostress there who bothered to search the entire bar for us just to sit us down in a cozy little corner. The lychee magaritas are yummy, and comes with real lychees so at least you are getting some fruit intake as you drink.

Butterfactory near MS:
The walls are surrounded by Happy Tree Friend's like cartoon wallpaper except without the morbidity. The drinks are strong, the music is pretty good and the crowd is yuppie-ish. Oh and the girls are good looking. And will hit on guys. A swarm of girls broke into our dancing circle and dragged my guy friend away to dance. Fun.

5 comments:

andrian martin dominic said...

i remembered the soft shell crab. even had 2 servings. yummmmmmmm

Chorizo said...

shiok right!! wha ...i can't wait to go there again...they have two diff type of soft shell crab but i only had the wasabi one...sigh...yumm..

Anonymous said...

hey gal,
heard from claire that youre back in town. jio me when u go for pepper lunch nxt time. i haf heard so much but have yet to march there and try it out myself.. there's always a very long queue whenever i wana give it a shot :p

faith

Anonymous said...

oh...the guy who was dragged away was me... ha... hey, but I think our group of gals are more babelicious anytime!

Chorizo said...

Ooh Kai!! I told my guy friends about you getting dragged away by the gals and now everyone wants to go there and try their luck! hahaha...i foresee you hanging out alot there..hahaaha....

Faith..yeah sure anytime..give me a buzz!